An ad blocker that uses the hosts file. The hosts file contains a list of mappings between hostnames and IP addresses. When an app requests an ad, that request is directed to 127.0.0.1 which does nothing. There are options to run a web server to respond to blocked hostnames and to direct requests to the IP address of your choosing. You can download hosts files from the app but it is possible to use your own and to add certain sites to the white- and black-lists.
- AdAway is Open Source and Free Software (GPLv3+)
- AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
- You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if an app is not working when specific hosts are blocked
- You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist
- You can add your own (hostname, IP)-pairs in the Redirection List
- Android version: 2.1 or above
- ROOT required
- Read/Write access on system-Partition
Problems can occur on some HTC devices when system-Partition is not writable!